Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Pendulum Swings

As I sit at my desk at work and scan the web for interesting stories to read during my lunchtime, I'm struck by how yesterday was a huge carthartic moment for America and maybe even the world. Yesterday was as much of a celebration of saying goodbye and good riddance to Bush as it was to say hello and where have you been to Obama. Most everyone is so happy that the dark days of the United States of America can now be flushed away and we can start anew that we will now forget what just happened to us over the last 8 years. 
I'm a firm believer in the pendulum of social existance. Which basically means that the pendulum has swung to our side again. By our, I mean, the majorities, the middle and lower classes, the average joes, the people who don't represent the greed and hunger for power. I mean me and you. If you look back in history, you'll see a pattern emerge that happens every generation or so and you can see that it's swings with the arc of a pendulum. What occurs to me is that during Bush's time, it swung so far to one side because of the force of 20 years of Reaganomics and our increasing lust for dominance (that means war), that it kept moving and moving without coming back. It scared alot of people, including me, and started to raise the hackles of an otherwise silent majority, that what was happening was not because of us, but in spite of us. And as we know from our science classes that for every action... So the result of that is that it built up the momentum to swing back towards our side and crash through the wall with a force that shook the nation. It was surely an incredible bit of chance that waiting in the wings was a brilliant and compassionate person named Barack who more than anything in his arsenel knew that if he could get people to believe in WE instead of I, that he could rally anyone and everyone to believe that the US as the biggest sports metaphor going and if we all channeled as much energy into our country as we do into our favorite team, that he would get everyone back on track.

So I'm glad the pendulum has finally swung back to our side and dread the day that it starts to swing back away from us (if it follows history, this will start swinging in 8-12 years and swing back in 25-30 to the other side), which is corporatism/fascism/laissez-faire. And for now, I'll be watching and participating in goverment with more excitement than I've ever had for my favorite sports team.

Go Team.

1 comment:

Stinky Junior said...

That's gorgeous and full of hope. You made me misty baby! I'm looking forward to the next 4-8 years too...